CHARGING ON 120V --Good or Bad ??? | Victoria and Area | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
CHARGING ON 120V --Good or Bad ???
May 7, 2017
9:44 am
england66
Admin
Forum Posts: 23
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have a friend who has an EV, he said he will not charge his car with the 120v charger, as it will ruin the battery. He will only charge via 220V /440V

anybody have any thoughts on this ??? 

May 11, 2017
10:39 am
Limbery
Members
Forum Posts: 10

If anything, it might be the opposite.  120v will only provide a very slow charge and batteries like a trickle charge for their health more than a high voltage/amperage charge.  There was just an article in the last week or so about Tesla limiting the frequency of their fast charges that their owners are getting as it's supposed to shorten battery life if done too often.

May 13, 2017
10:24 am
Wolfie
Colwood BC at the Hobbit House
Members
Forum Posts: 13

I think the reason that Nissan doesn't recommend trickle charging as your daily charger is because there have been several fires reported from people connecting their charger to an already overloaded circuit or using an inadequate extension cord. You need a dedicated 20A plug. I have trickle charged my Leaf daily for the last year and a half and have put on 24K on her. Still have 12 bars at 46K and my last battery check was 5 stars. 

May 15, 2017
5:21 pm
england66
Admin
Forum Posts: 23

Thanks Wolfie and Limbery for you inputs...., I cant find anything that says its a bad thing.  ..This is great, because my work says that if i buy a EV, I can charge it at work via a standard outside wall outlet. ...

May 29, 2017
9:10 pm
sharkannon
Members
Forum Posts: 3

From what I know about the Batteries, charging them ALL the time on a 120v charger is a bad thing.  It doesn't provide enough power to condition the battery properly.  So if it's your ONLY way to charge, it's probably not a good idea, but if you just use it to top your car off while at work, it's probably not a big deal.  (Also be careful with the 440v charges, they'll over heat your battery if you use them to much.. made a trip to the interior of BC using only 440v charges and the battery just about red lined, had to let it cool down)

(Got most of the information from an Electrician from Victoria that deals with EV's all the time (Owns a leaf himself))

June 19, 2017
5:45 pm
gatski
Members
Forum Posts: 3

Hi

The people at Motorize avoid 120v trickle charging because they say it increases the resistance.

They personally mostly use level2 with level3 occasionally (which they say helps condition the battery). They warn that you should avoid multiple consecutive level 3 charging so that you don't overheat the battery.

They also recommend only charging to 100% if you will use the car within 8 hours.

They are putting 40k/year on their cars and their batteries are still very healthy.

Cheers

Graham

July 7, 2017
6:41 pm
hcoey
Members
Forum Posts: 1

I received the same information from Motorize about not using the trickle charging very often. Just purchased a used 2013 Nissan Leaf from them. Was wondering if anyone can give me some help with regards to installing a level 2 charging station at home. Got all gung ho and set this up for this past Wednesday, BC Hydro at our home and the whole works as the electrician said we needed to increase our home from 100A to 200A service. In the end nothing was done as BC hydro had a 3 inch diameter conduit for the wires going into our house but we only had 2 inch conduit in our wall from the box (BC Hydro required 3 inch all the way to the box).  We did not know how far into the cement foundation the change occurred and thus didn't want to start jack hammering our driveway + the job was ending up around $6000 so we "pulled the plug"! I've now taken back the General Electric Charging station ordered from Costco for a refund and am slowing down to figure this all out more thoroughly... The electrician now says we can install through a 30A panel in our garage on the existing 100A service and just be careful not to turn other things on in the garage while charging the car.  Does anyone have any feedback on this? Electricians with a good reputation for installation and reasonable rates to get another quote (it has been AMPED electric we have been dealing with so far)? Home charging devices (plug in rather than hard wire)? Will the home charging device need to be 16A only to be used on a 30A panel? How fast does a 16A charger charge? Does higher cost charger equal better quality? Are there rebates available for installing in one's home?  Any experienced advice would be very appreciated. Thank you :-)

Forum Timezone: America/Vancouver

Most Users Ever Online: 31

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

LawrenceS: 21

Rumrunner: 17

Mathew M: 13

Wolfie: 13

Okanaganer: 12

snowmonkeyliz: 11

jpconnor: 10

Limbery: 10

Ugliest1: 10

shemp: 9

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 2

Members: 847

Moderators: 0

Admins: 6

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 1

Topics: 307

Newest Members:

Cripps, Jackie, Rob MacGregor, VictoriaJeffrey, 12dsa.leslie@gmail.com, DaveHutch, Michaelnic, brcehorn@telus.net, Leaf1001, karabrian

Administrators: Fred Wissemann: 89, Marc: 102, england66: 23, ve7tbc: 270, lisalocke: 0, James Locke: 2